Disabilities Services FAQ

What does Disability Services do?

The Fab School’s Disability Services provides services to students with disabilities to insure accessibility to university programs. DS offers accommodations counseling, evaluation referral, disability-related information, adaptive technology counseling and equipment, and interpreter services for academically related purposes. DS does not offer disability evaluation and/or testing, personal services, or attendants.

What is a Accommodation Plan?

The Accommodation Plan is a written record of the accommodations recommended by Disability Services staff for the student whose name appears on the document. Accommodations are designed to provide the student with an equal opportunity to participate in all educational activities.

What constitutes a disability?

A disability is defined in the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. Learning is an example of a major life activity. If you have a mental or physical condition, a history of such a condition, or a condition which may be considered by others as substantially limiting, you may have a legally defined disability.(http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm)

What does substantially limiting mean? 

According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, “substantially limiting” is defined as being unable to perform a major life activity, or significantly restricted as to the condition, manner, or duration under which a major life activity can be performed, in comparison to the average person or to most people.

What is a major life activity?

According to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, a major life activity is defined as caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, and working.

What are academic accommodations?

Appropriate academic accommodations create equal access to education, as long as they don’t require a substantial change in an essential element of the curriculum. The institution will determines this while working closely with community disability advocacy groups and the US Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights.

What should I know when applying to The Fab School? Are there any special procedures?

The admissions process and policies for applicants with disabilities is the same as for all others applying to The Fab School. Students apply with an Admissions Representative using the same forms and meeting the same deadlines as all other applicants. Disclosure of disability information will be handled confidentially.

What should I do if I suspect I have a disability and want to receive accommodations?

If you suspect you have a disability you will need to provide documentation of that disability to Disability Services. A qualified professional who is licensed or certified to diagnose the disability in question must supply this documentation. An appointment should be scheduled with a Disability Coordinator to review the documentation and the need for services. The Disability Services Coordinator will complete a Verified Individual Services and Accommodations form, or VISA, that you can use to show instructors and faculty.

Are there any campus services that could assist me with determining if I have a disability?

No. Unfortunately, The Fab School is unable to determine if a student has a disability and it is up to the student to contact a licensed medical professional regarding their concerns.

What kinds of accommodations are available?

Academic accommodations include, but are not limited to, testing accommodations, interpreters, and note taker services. The Fab School is unable to deviant from policies and academic requirements which will alter the program.

How will my instructors know what accommodations I can have?

Your instructors will know only if you register with Disability Services and have a completed VISA form to show them. Disability services Coordinators will assist you with obtaining accommodations with faculty and instructors.

I received accommodations in high school or I had an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP). Can I use the IEP as documentation?

The IEP is a valuable resource of information, but it cannot be used as documentation of the disability.

What role do my parents play in the process?

Students who are 18 years old or older are legally recognized as adults. In this case, the student is responsible for their own accommodation requests and disability-related decisions. However, students are encouraged to have an open dialog with their parents. Parents can be a great source of support, however, information cannot be shared with parents without the student’s written permission.

I don’t want anyone to know I have a disability. Will my records be confidential?

Disability related information will be shared only on a limited basis within the institutional community.  It may be shared only when there is a compelling reason for an individual from the institution to seek information regarding some specific aspect of this confidential information.  Please refer to the Disability Confidentiality Policy for details.

I have a physical disability and have trouble getting around. What types of accommodations are geared just for me?

Students with physical disabilities are encouraged to register with Disability Services so that a Disability Services counselor can help them assess physical access needs for courses and other school activities.
Are there any sources of funding for college expenses that are specifically for students with disabilities?

We recommend you check with your local Vocational Rehabilitation office.

Vocational Rehabilitation Services (VR): VR is a federal program designed to “obtain, maintain, and improve employment for people with disabilities”. To be eligible for funding through VR, you need to “have a disability which is severe enough that you have problems getting or keeping a job specifically because of your disability”. VR must also agree that college is needed to increase your ability to obtain employment.

I’m a client of the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation. Is there anything special I should know?

The Division of Vocational Rehabilitation will often fund services provided through The Fab School if completing a program is part of your DVR employment plan. Talk to your DVR counselor about support services for which you might be eligible.

Do you have interpreters, captionists, and other services for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students?

We employ hourly interpreters and captionists as needed.

How do I file an appeal or complaint of I’ve been denied an accommodation or discriminated against on the basis of disability?

Individuals wishing to file a complaint may do so by following the institution’s grievance policy or by contacting the Executive Director in writing via email or mail. All complaints by be submitted in writing.

If you have been denied an accommodation, please refer to the Disability Appeal Process.